Sunday, February 18, 2018

The Ring

First off, let me say that I am aware that my blog's header may not be showing, and that you might be seeing an ad in its place. I have reached out the the blog designer and asked for some help with that, but am waiting to hear back from her. One way or another, I will get that resolved.

So yesterday, my youngest niece got engaged. She is the happiest I have ever known her to be. Her fiancĂ© just brings out the best in her, and I think they are going to be really happily married. Yea! Marriage can be so good! I highly recommend it. She received the prettiest engagement ring from her young man, and she was just giddy about it. 




After I had been a widow for two or three years, I stopped wearing my engagement ring and I moved my wedding band over to my right hand. I was open to a new relationship (still am), and I didn't want to appear unavailable. That was really the only reason I removed them - because of what others might think.

I still wear my rings together on my left hand whenever we travel because I feel like it sends a message that there's a husband and father around somewhere, and he could be nearby. But when I get home, within a day or two I reluctantly remove my engagement ring and put it away. I don't like doing so, but I feel some sort of imaginary pressure to do so.

But last night, watching my niece revel in the newness of her engagement ring (and preparing to marry the love of her life, of course!), made me want to wear my ring again. So today I got it out and put it on my left hand, and moved my wedding band over to my left hand, too. It makes me very happy to wear my rings together. When I was married, I called my engagement ring "Shiny Goodness" and it really is. I may not have the biggest diamond, but all the pave diamonds around it really make it shine.

I think I'm going to keep wearing it, too. It's the nicest piece of jewelry I've ever had, it's incredibly meaningful, and I just can't think of a good reason not to do so.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you wear your rings however and whenever you want to Joannah. A new widow in one of my Facebook groups recently asked if there was wedding ring "etiquette" and I think you nailed it. Wearing it while travelling is an excellent idea, and you're so right--it's the nicest piece of jewelry most women own, so if it makes you feel good its better to wear it and enjoy it (on either hand) than hide it in the jewelry box. I'm so glad to see you're still blogging, and congrats to your niece on her engagement. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Reading your comments is one of the rewarding aspects of blogging.