Wednesday, December 12, 2012

57

Michael would have been 57 on the tenth. It's one of those days on the calendar that I kind of dread as the weeks draw near - dread mixed with love, longing, and a bit of anger. I dread that another special day will be spent without Michael. I still love him. I long for the day when I will see him again. The anger part is complicated. I'll leave it at that.

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I talked with Michael's mom about the Disneyland employee "party" (she retired after 35 years there), and we decided that we would go on Michael's birthday. It was actually a really great way to honor his memory as he had worked there many times over the years. The park looks amazing this time of year - the Christmas decorations are incredible.

As we stood on Main Street watching the fireworks show over Sleeping Beauty's castle Michaela and I were caught up in the magic (albeit Disney magic) of the moment. When the "snow" began to fall, I remembered that it had been four years ago since I'd stood there with Michael watching the same thing. It was wonderful then, but it was even more wonderful to see it again with Michaela. She was enchanted by the fireworks, the music, the lights, and the snow.


We were up much too late, but it was worth the loss of sleep to share the evening with Grandma, and Grammy and Papa.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's a great way to honor Michael. I understand your emotions of dread/longing/love/anger. I believe it is because a persons spirit is to live an eternity that is it hard for our earthly minds to grasp that a person is no longer with us. When those kinds of dates/anniversaries come up there is a sadness and loneliness that sneaks in. So glad you had a good time with your girl. Love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Joannah ~ What a lovely birthday celebration you had with your daughter.

    May you feel the love, grace, peace and strength of Jesus surrounding you at this time.

    I just lost my husband of 43 years on the 9th of Dec. Today is his 65th birthday and I am fixing a celebratory dinner tonight. I will raise my glass in a birthday toast to him, and one to God/Jesus for the love we shared and for God's continuing blessings in my life.

    I watched the video of Michael's music and was touched by The Field and The Sky. I love acoustic guitar, it touches me, heart and soul. I also love guitar music like he did with that fantastic run in Johnny be good. My dear husband played the guitar too, for himself and for me, not professionally. He was looking forward to getting to heaven to have the ultimate jam session in the sky. I just thought about that hearing your husband play. Thank you for jogging that memory for me. I know that dream will come true when we are all united.

    Love and hugs to you and little Michaela ~ FlowerLady Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Joannah, Your celebration of Michael's birthday must have been a celebration in heaven too, acceptable and pleasing to the Lord. May He bless and strengthen you this Christmas and continue to bring you and Michaela a fountain of joy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Reading your comments is one of the rewarding aspects of blogging.