Friday, April 20, 2012

Music Man

Heather responded to my recent post (which was my thinly veiled attempt at garnering topics for blogging) by saying that she would like to know more about Michael's music career. So, I'll tell you what I know. It's a good time to do this because I am missing him like crazy these days.

I remember Michael telling me that by the time he was twelve he knew what he wanted to do with his life, and that was to play the guitar. So many people want to make a living playing an instrument, or performing in some way (I know I did!), but he actually achieved that.

As early as junior high and high school, Michael was playing in bands with friends.

Junior high or high school band with Kenton Nelson























While he was still in his teens, he got a job at Disneyland playing in the Polynesian show at the Tahitian Terrace. My mother-in-law was a server there at that time also. Michael made many lifelong friends through this experience, and it led to one of his life's great adventures - living in Japan for several months. The group of performers from the Tahitian Terrace were hired to open the very same show at Tokyo Disneyland in the early eighties.

Disneyland Tahitian Terrace

Tokyo Disneyland friends including Shelly and Teddy Randazzo
Michael returned to California, and from the pictures I have it's obvious that he was a part of a few other bands in Disneyland over the years.


Michael with his father Ben Labrador
As a freelance musician, Michael played with numerous bands at corporate parties, weddings, private events, and in churches.

Rocking a mullet . . .





Promo photo - Michael played classical guitar beautifully




Ben Cleall Trio at Dietrich Coffee

1994 summer gig in Laguna Beach - that's our friend Bob on guitar
We met in the early nineties at a mega-church in Orange County where he was a regular band member, and I was part of the worship team. I do have a picture of that group, but it's in a frame and I'm not going to get it out to scan it. Ha! Those were such fun weekends of worship and fellowship. At one point, Michael told me he was living for the weekends we would be on the team together. We all had so much fun.


Michael was terrible with dates, so I really don't know when he got his big break. It was during a time in our lives when we weren't keeping in touch with each other. However, it seems to me that sometime in 1995 or 1996 he got the opportunity to audition for the Paul Anka band. A friend of his was with the band, and the guitarist had just been fired, and so Michael's friend put in a good word for Michael. That led to an audition, and he was hired. Michael really liked the guys he played with in the PA band, and he loved traveling all over the world. The travel schedule was pretty heavy the first ten years or so that he was with the band. I think he told me his travels took him to every continent except Africa. While he wasn't always thrilled about the style of music this job required him to play, jazz was his first love, there were other things about it that made it worth it to him.

With Barbara Walters and other band members


On stage with Paul Anka - Michael was frequently featured as a soloist
With Quincy Jones and Dianne Shurr

The last five years of his life, Michael's second regular job was in a Dixieland jazz trio at Disneyland called the Royal Street Bachelors. It was just a two-day-a-week gig, but he really liked that he got to play jazz.


I can't express how proud I was of Michael. He was so talented and so passionate about music, and when I watched him play I could see how the music just took over his whole being. I had always wanted to write and record, and perfom more music with Michael, but by the time we had figured out our relationship I was preoccupied with our fertility treatments and my job. He asked me several times to write with him in the months prior to his diagnosis, but I thought it was something we could do later on.

In November of 2009 I suggested that we put together a Christmas CD for our families. Michael was excited to have a project because he hadn't been able to work, and he spent quite a bit of time arranging "Breath of Heaven" (one of the songs we wanted to record), but as his health declined, he didn't have the energy to finish our little project. We never laid down a single track together.

Over the years Michael had recorded several original compositions that showcased his ability to arrange in addition to his talent with the guitar. He started countless other pieces that he did not complete because he had a hard time with that aspect of composing. He recognized that I was good a finishing things, and he hoped that working together we could compliment each other with our individual strengths. It was not meant to be. I have no desire to do anything musically anymore. I think he was my muse. I know every song I wrote was about our relationship.

I Know
lyrics and music by Joannah McKee and Brian Palmer
(copyright 2000)

Baby, you know you've got it so good
Because my heart's an open book
It's such an easy thing
There's no lines to read between
Just take one look and see
You mean everything to me

I know that you know
Yeah, I know that you know
What I need
What I want
I know know that you know
Yeah, I know that you know
How I feel and what this love is all about

Honey, there's no need for guesswork here
Cause what you know should make it clear
That I'm crazy for you
I still think you hung the moon
Just seek and you shall find
You don't have to read my mind

I know that you know
Yeah, I know that you know
What I need
What I want
I know know that you know
Yeah, I know that you know
How I feel and what this love is all about
It's such an easy thing
There's no lines to read between
Just take one look and see
You mean everything to me




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! What an amazing gift Michael had and he shared it with so many and touched so many lives! Mostly...yours, and that is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Michael was very accomplished. I didn't know much outside of the Paul Anka band... (All during your pregnancy, his song "Having my Baby" went through my head... Funny, or maybe sad, I know...) Quite a career, quite the fine man, quite the head of hair! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved reading this! What a wonderful life Michael had, doing what he loved and being with you! I love the song you wrote at the end. I have no doubt you will make beautiful music together in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when you write about Michael, and what an accomplished musician he was! How sweet that you wrote a song for him. I had a friend that played at Disney for a while too. And I think I know the church where you met, was it in Foothill Ranch?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Reading your comments is one of the rewarding aspects of blogging.