And my wait is almost over!
Today, I saw my OB again. She checked me, and I had not progressed at all since Tuesday. Not dilated even a teensy weensy bit. Then she measured the baby, and by her measurements Michaela is about nine pounds.
Inducing is not an option. The hospital's policy is that induction without a medical reason (mother's or baby's health) before 41 weeks is a no no. And, being that I'm not dilated at all, an induction would likely not be successful and could result in a c-section.
However, the hospital will allow me to elect to have a c-section anytime after 39 weeks. So, with my doctor's blessing, I have elected to do so. I am scheduled to deliver on Wednesday, May 18th unless Michaela should decide to arrive before then.
I am greatly relieved to know when this difficult pregnancy will be over, and my new life with my daughter will begin. I had been feeling more and more discouraged with each passing day, and now my spirits are much lighter.
I know some people have strong opinions about natural births versus c-sections. You are entitled to your opinion, of course. But, if you are thinking about dissuading me from my choice, don't waste your breath (or your keystrokes). I am comfortable with my decision and I believe it is the best choice for me and my daughter.
So, if not before, then Wednesday for sure!
Lastly, I think it's a wonderful irony that Michaela's birthday will be on a date that has been a sad reminder to me in the last two years, for it is the date on which we first learned that Michael had cancer. I have considered May 18th, 2009 to be the worst day of my life. But May 18th, 2011 will certainly be the best.