Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Alaska Cruise - Victoria, B.C.


It seemed like another rainy day when we first arrived in Victoria, but the sun made its way through the clouds eventually. Our time here was brief. I think we left the ship before nine o'clock that morning, and we departed at one-thirty that afternoon. Victoria is so charming that you really need more time there than that.

I had been to Victoria once before right after high school graduation. As a member of the concert choir at school, we took annual tours and in 1986 we toured Seattle, Victoria, and Vancouver, B.C. where we performed at Expo '86. I think we had more time in Victoria that day, actually. I've always wanted to go back, and I still feel that way.

Our shore excursion began with a bus tour of the city. The bus driver had a lot to say about the various sites, and he was pretty funny. The first stop was at the Victoria Butterfly Gardens.





Inside the exhibit were a several varieties of butterflies, birds, turtles, and frogs. It was a very nice exhibit, but I would have preferred to have more time at our second stop on the tour.


On my previous trip to Victoria, I had also gone to Butchart Gardens. I really don't remember how much time we had there back in 1986, but we had just an hour and forty-five minutes there this time. That is simply not enough time for such a magnificent place! I felt like it was a mad dash through the gardens, and we didn't see it all. Sad face!










































It seems like a glimpse of Heaven to me! I haven't been surrounded by that kind of beauty since I visited Giverny ten years ago, and I'm tempted to say Butchart Gardens is even more impressive - especially when you consider that it started out as a quarry.

After our race walk through the gardens, it was time to get back on the bus and return to the ship. I really didn't want to leave. There is much more to see in Victoria.

Next time, my impressions of Princess Cruises.

1 comment:

  1. Your ports of call were quite magnificent, I shall be interested in your thoughts on Princess.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Reading your comments is one of the rewarding aspects of blogging.