Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday

Did you know that Jesus wasn't crucified on Friday? I didn't know that until a few years ago, but I could never make sense of the fulfillment of the three days and three nights prophesy until I read Jack Kelley's explanation here. God's Word never contradicts itself. We just need to understand the context! In this case, church tradition supplanted Jewish tradition, and I think it's a stumbling block for many.

What would I be without the cross? I'd be condemned. I am a terrible sinner. I have violated God's law repeatedly - sometimes ignorantly and sometimes willfully. Without the cross, once it was time for me to leave the natural world upon my death, I'd be destined to an eternity separated from God.

But God always intended to reconcile us to Him. He did so through Jesus' sacrifice on the cross and His resurrection. I will be eternally grateful. I am also grateful that He drew my precious husband to Himself. I have an indescribable sense of comfort in knowing that Michael was saved. I KNOW I will see him again. I know that because Jesus lives, Michael lives.

On the drive home yesterday, Michaela was babbling on about her papa (my dad). She would say his name, and then she'd say "hold you?" This is her way of saying that she wants Papa to hold her. After that she said, "Mark? Hold you?" This is her way of saying that she wants Mark (our friend from Massachusetts) to hold her. Then she said, "Daddy? Hold you?" Sigh... I told her that Daddy will hold her when we get Home to Heaven. I told her, as I have many times before, that Daddy lives in Heaven with Jesus, and that he loves us so much. While I am sad that Michael can't hold her now, I know a day is coming (and it's soon, my friends) when Jesus will return for His church. And on that day, Michaela will also meet her daddy. Somehow I think that will be eclipsed by seeing the face of God, but for now it's an wonderful expectation and comfort.

Oh, the wonderful cross. I'd be in a world of hurt without it. With it I have hope for today, and an assurity for eternity.

This Chris Tomlin song was one I had the band play at Michael's memorial service:




What does the cross mean to you, friend? Do you know Jesus as your Lord and Savior? Do you know where you will spend eternity? I hope and pray that this Resurrection Sunday, you will reflect on the true meaning of the cross and the One who shed His blood upon it for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Reading your comments is one of the rewarding aspects of blogging.