Saturday, March 19, 2011

Thirty-two Weeks


I saw my OB on Friday, and we agreed that my back pain would not be helped by returning to work. Therefore, my leave has been extended to April 18th and will be extended again after that. I am relieved.

We talked about how big Michaela is measuring. Between Monday's ultrasound and the measurement of the fundus yesterday, she is about two weeks ahead. I expressed to Dr. S that I do not want a nine or ten pound baby, and I asked her if we could keep that in mind as we get closer. She said yes, and that she would check with Dr. I (her partner) and the hospital to make sure that it would be okay to induce before Michaela grew to be nine pounds or more.

In two weeks, I will need to start going to the hospital every three or four days for Fetal Non-Stress Tests (NST). This is something the perinatalogist had mentioned to me on Monday. A NST is:

The test involves attaching one belt to the mother’s abdomen to measure fetal heart rate and another belt to measure contractions. Movement, heart rate and “reactivity” of heart rate to movement is measured for 20-30 minutes. If the baby does not move, it does not necessarily indicate that there is a problem; the baby could just be asleep. A nurse may use a small “buzzer” to wake the baby for the remainder of the test. (from americanpregnancy dot org)

The reason for this is due to my "advanced maternal age". Whatever, I don't care. I just want everything to be all right with the baby and I don't see how this type of monitoring could hurt.

I have begun to pack my hospital bag.

Packages have been arriving from friends and family for the baby.

My first baby shower is tomorrow.

So it really does feel like I'm in the home stretch now, but there's still a lot to do in the nursery. Somehow it will all come together...

10 comments:

  1. You are all baby, lady. I can't completely tell from the pictures because there isn't a shot of you belly on, but had I not known Michaela was a girl, I would have thought 'boy' just based on the basketball you are carrying.

    Home stretch before the next inning of the rest of your life begins...

    http://itiswhatitisorisit.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings Joannah as friends and family bless you and Michaela tomorrow. Nothing says HOPE like a baby shower. You look adorable!! Be well, and bask in the love that wil surround you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look absolutely beautiful, my friend!! Have a wonderful time at your shower and know that I will be sending you all our love from Toronto. Hope you can feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Joannah,

    The good Lord sure works in wonderful and mysterious ways!

    My sister Debra, Jillian and myself were out shopping for the day today. Just as I was sharing hugs and kisses with my Jillian my head popped up when I heard your sweet baby's name called out by a mom to her daughter who was standing on line right in front of us in where else but in Michael's Craft store!!

    Then I come home and see your email!! Well, I was just so surprised and happy to hear from you! What a coincidence!! I just know that your sweet Michael is watching over you!!

    Wishing you Showers of Happiness!!
    Love, ((Hugs)) and Prayers!!
    Jan, John & Jillian Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so cute! I hope that the time off from work relieves some stress -- on your back and on your mind from having to constantly wonder if you are going back or not. Now you can just settle in for the home stretch!

    Be sure to do lots of research about induction. I had one with Lucy and it was NO fun. I felt like I was poisoned. It totally through my birth plan out the window. With Phoebe, I had a natural labor (certainly not for everyone) and I felt so much better afterwards. Anyway feel free to write me if you have any questions because I have had 2 very different experiences! Oh and I do remember my doctor telling me that the risk of a c-section after an induction is actually higher than the risk of having one because the baby is large. Just some food for thought...don't want to stress you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woops, meant to say "threw" not "through"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Love that belly. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to hear about how great your shower was (and see pictures of course!!!!) She's almost here! She's almost here!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look just simply beautiful!
    I had to do the NSTs because of my IVF so maybe different places have different rules. You sit and listen and click a button when you feel movement. They watch to make sure the baby's heart rate goes up when they move, and they watch that happen X times and you're done. Make sure you have a snack before hand and pee!

    I am so glad for your extended leave and
    I am thinking about you every day sweetie.
    Sorry to be so quiet,
    xoxoxxo
    love to you
    Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Reading your comments is one of the rewarding aspects of blogging.