Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Week of Love - Love Is

Image from Blackberry Cottage HD on Etsy

Somewhere along the line, I think it was in a youth group way back when, I heard someone say that love isn't a feeling. At the time, I really couldn't get my head around that. Of course it was a feeling! I felt love for my family, my pets, and something like love for that cute guy in my government class. Come on!
 
It took me a long time to understand what that speaker was saying back then. Love is a verb. It's something we do. Some of the ways world defines love are as physical attraction, or family ties, or friendship, or a passion for someone or something. And those things can be a part of loving relationships. But I think real love transcends those things. Because sometime personal relationships aren't easy. Real people are hard to love.
  
In 1 Corinthians 13, Paul the Apostle identifies love's characteristics. It's known as the "Love Chapter" in Christian circles, and many people have it read at their weddings. I was going to take the time to comment on the verses, but I've got a sick baby girl tonight who needs her mama to cuddle with her instead. So, just read it for yourself and consider what love is and is not...
 

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails.

Love is beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Reading your comments is one of the rewarding aspects of blogging.