Saturday, May 29, 2010

All Worked Up

Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes regarding my job situation. It's been a tough couple of weeks. First of all, learning that I wasn't given a primary grade position for the coming year as I'd requested, and then that I was expected to move out of my classroom into another. I took it hard. I've been at my present school for twelve years, and I've taught the same grade for eleven of those years. I am ready to do something new, but I seem to be pigeonholed as a fourth grade teacher.

So, I figured if I was going to be expected to move out of my classroom that I might as well seek a primary grade position at another school within my school district. On Monday, I filled out a transfer application, and then I made some phone calls. The phone calls led to two interviews at two different schools, but they were both for second grade teaching positions. I think I interviewed well and I hope to receive an invitation to teach at one of the schools sometime next week.

I really wish this wasn't something I have to deal with now. Grief is hard work, let me tell you. The last thing I want to do is spend my precious energy on interviewing and packing up my classroom - especially since I'm on a leave of absence which was supposed to eliminate my work-related stress. My hope is that as difficult as this is, that the Lord will direct my steps towards a school and a position that will give me the chance to have a positive impact on my students, but less conflict and stress in the workplace.

3 comments:

  1. I so hope that the outcome of all this is a positive one. I can say from experience that teaching second grade is fantastic. I think you will love it if that's where you end up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can also tell you from experience that 2nd grade was my absolute favorite grade to teach!! I am praying that you will hear something soon and that you will be able to have an answer. It seems the not knowing is often even more stressful - and you certainly do not need any added stress. I am so sorry this has all happened during this stage of your journey. I pray for wonderful changes for your teaching career! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Joannah,
    I hope you find a school that is a great fit, and that all the BS at your current school can be left behind you.

    sending big love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Reading your comments is one of the rewarding aspects of blogging.