Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Bit of a Disappointment

I went in for my day three ultrasound this morning, and everything looked good according to the physicians assistant. But, the nurse just called and said that my Estradiol level (E2) was higher than the doctor wanted it to be (102), and because of that they want me to wait another cycle to begin this IVF. The normal range for Estradiol levels on day three is between 25 and 75. The doctor is concerned that my level would inhibit the number of eggs I'm able to develop once I start stimming. More than likely it's high because I was taking 4 mg of Estradiol during the last cycle. So, I don't think it's naturally high.

The good news was that my FSH was only 6 and that's considered to be very good for my age. A high FSH indicates a low ovarian reserve and that means few or fewer eggs. For more information on E2 and FSH click here.

I expressed my concerns that the next cycle would bump up against my return to work, but the nurse was reassuring and she said if need be they would briefly extend my medical leave of absence. I hope it doesn't come to that.

So, it looks like I'm in a holding pattern for another three weeks or so. I had a feeling this would happen. Aside from when we were doing IUIs with Clomid, I've never been able to cycle back-to-back. I will continue to see my acupuncturist twice a week in the meantime. I'm pretty sure that's contributing to my great FSH number. Thank you, Dr. Pak!

Please pray for the timing of this and my return to work - that everything would coincide, and that I'll be able to be where I'm supposed to be when I'm supposed to be there.



Later...


Yeah, feeling pretty concerned about the timing of it all. I feel like I don't have control over much of anything in my life right now. It's overwhelming, really. Makes me miss Michael all the more.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that you're experiencing another disappointment, Joannah. I know how difficult this must be. I will continue praying for you and sending positive thoughts your way. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is heartbreaking to me to see what you are all having to go through. We did a few years of fertilty treatments and reading this brings it all back. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I would love to actually "know" you as I think you are a amazing strong lady..Never doubt what you can and will do:)
    I know your husband is so proud of you and smiling down at you!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always in hindsight that we realize that the timing was impeccable. Just try to remember that right now...we don't know why yet, but this was your not your cycle....but it will be...all in His time. xoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holding you in my heart during your holding pattern...and completely feeling you on the "nothing in my control" department. Sending so much love to you, JOannah....xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for everything to fall into the correct time. Praying for you to be able to rest well and take gentle care of yourself........always praying! My heart is just aching for you and feels for all you are going through.
    Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know I am thinking of you and sending all the good vibes your way..
    Michael is with you in spirit my friend.. I wish he was with you to help you but know he is watching over you .
    LOVE YOU GIRLY..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I would be worried too! I'm sure that doesn't make you feel better but I do know the craziness that is August for teachers. :( I, like Sarah, am always praying for you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Reading your comments is one of the rewarding aspects of blogging.